Our pets are a part of our family, so why would we want to leave a member of the family at home when we head off for a week’s vacation? Summer vacations are the perfect opportunity for pets to tag along. There are plenty of outdoor activities to try, and new areas to explore. But before you decide to travel with pets, you need to make sure you educate yourself on keeping them safe throughout traveling and that there will be proper care for them at your preferred accommodations.
Pet Safety Tips
When vacationing during the summer, pet travel safety is especially important. Hot weather, unfamiliar territory, and long journeys can be stressful on your pet. Here are some tips to help your family and your beloved pet have a safe and fun getaway.
- If traveling by car, cats and dogs should ride in a carrier that is safely secured into the seat. If left to roam the car, there is more possibility for injury.
- Pets should never ride in the bed of a truck. A fast stop, quick turn, or impact could be fatal.
- Always make sure you have plenty of water and that your pet has consistent access to it. This is especially important in the hot summer months.
- If you have a dog with long hair, make sure he or she gets a summer cut. This will keep them much cooler when the temperatures rise.
- Since you are likely traveling to a place you are not familiar with, be mindful of poisonous plants in the area. Do some research ahead of time before taking your pet out for a walk.
- Be safe around water. Don’t leave dogs unattended near pools or lakes. If your pet isn’t a regular swimmer, it might be worth investing in a life vest just in case.
- If traveling by car, make frequent stops to relieve your pet and let them stretch their legs a bit. This will keep them happier throughout the journey.
- If you are flying, ensure you read the airline’s policy on pets so you are properly prepared when you board.
- Even if a resort’s website says they are “pet friendly,” call ahead and double check. Resorts often have weight, breed, or pet type restrictions. You don’t want to travel all the way there only to find you need to put your pet in a kennel.
There are many timeshare resorts that are pet friendly. Timeshares make perfect accommodations for families traveling with a pet because they offer much more space. With all this extra room to roam, you won’t feel cramped and will be able to relax and let your pet run around in the suite. Investing in a pet-friendly timeshare is a great way to avoid the stress of searching for pet-friendly accommodations every time you try to vacation. For assistance in finding the perfect pet friendly timeshare resale or rental for you and your furry friend, contact us today at 1-877-815-4227.