Destination Spotlight: Canmore, Canada
Canmore falls nothing short of offering the iconic Canadian getaway. Whether you’ve heard of this quaint Alberta town or not, it is well worth a visit. From the jaw-dropping mountain vistas and thrilling adventures of the Alberta Rockies to the charming downtown filled with boutique shops, theater, and delicious dining, this former coal-mining town is one you’ll want to experience more than once.
What to do in Canmore
- Canmore Nordic Centre Provincial Park – The natural first stop for many visitors, this park was created specifically for the 1988 Olympics, and of course offers incredible skiing/snowboarding, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing trails. When the snow melts away, the park provides perfect hiking and mountain biking opportunities.
- Canmore Cave Tours – This year-round favorite attraction is located in Rat’s Nest Cave near Canmore. Gear up and rappel underground to explore the beauty of the caves, squeezing and shimmying through nooks and crannies in this adrenaline-inducing adventure.
- Ha Ling Peak – While not necessarily recommended for the beginner hiker, this strenuous 5-mile hike will be worth every step once you get to admire the beautiful panoramic view from the top.
What to see in Canmore
- Upper Kananaskis Lake – A shimmering body of water with a gorgeous mountain backdrop. The perfect place to sit back, relax, and enjoy the beauty of the area—and even spot some wildlife.
- Kananaskis Wildlife Drive – Take a scenic drive along Highway 40 and Highway 742. Enjoy the many places to stop and get out of your car for scenic and wildlife viewing, photo-taking, and hiking to falls.
- Canmore Museum and Geoscience Centre – Dedicated to celebrating the unique mountain history of the Canmore area.
Where to eat/drink in Canmore
- Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company – A casual Italian eatery featuring handcrafted flatbread pizzas, pasta, daily soups and salads, and more. Offering plenty of gluten-free and nut-free pizza options.
- The Grizzly Paw Brewing Company – A state-of-the-art local brewery serving up delicious beer flights. Sip, tour the brewery, unwind by the firepit, and admire the stunning mountain backdrop.
- Tapas Restaurant – A dinner favorite worth the splurge, this is the perfect romantic spot to enjoy some delicious Spanish and Mediterranean-inspired tapas.
Where to stay in Canmore